4 November 2016
Why IB education is the hot, new emerging trend for your child's education.
You want your child to be unique, right? But, how do you go about it? Are there tested methods to achieve this uniqueness?
One of the best ways is to relook at the education system which plays such an influential role in shaping your child's thinking. Does traditional education offer uniqueness? Or does it dumb down everyone to the same standard? Does it teach your child to think, or does it teach him or her to mug?
Education is expected to train the minds, to think critically, and challenge the age-old assumptions, but is that the case?
The International Baccalaureate [IB Education] has come to India and is transforming the way children get educated.
With its modern techniques, IB turns young minds into inquirers, thinkers, and communicators who set up the challenging goals and develop the persistence to achieve them.
The aim of IB programs is to make their students think beyond the boundaries of their classroom. This will enable them to focus on three aspects of learning which are:
1. Question assumptions: IB programs are designed to light up the curiosity of young minds. It proactively involves young minds in the learning process. The students will learn to ask, 'why' before accepting any norms. In order to learn, your child will research, and this very act will enable him or her to sustain the love for learning throughout life.
2. Learn to act: IB programs are committed to making students learn through practical, real-world experience. The students practice their learning and bring change in the society. The actions which they intend from their teaching revolves around service learning, advocacy and educating self and others.
3. Reflect on actions taken: Critically reflecting on their own work will not only improve it but will also deepen their knowledge and understanding. An IB education fosters creativity and imagination. It guides young minds to analyze their own thinking and efforts as well as the performances that grow from them.
IB education develops the student into an individual with characteristics of curiosity, overall mental development, and international connections. Now, why would you want to deny these to your child?
1. Curiosity: It nurtures love among students to learn beyond what is taught, to think beyond what is learned, and to do more than what you can think. It stresses on the fact that imagination is boundless and so should be their desire to learn.
2. Overall development: It is holistic in nature. Along with cognitive development, IB program addresses students social, emotional and physical well-being.
3. International connections: The aim of all IB programs is to develop internationally minded people who, recognize their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet which will help to create the most peaceful world.
This is what IB education offers your child.
1. Primary Years Programme: Open to students between 3 years to 12 years. It enables children to transform themselves into lifelong learners, who will in build the strength to compete with the world around them.
2. Middle years Programme: Open for students aged between 11 years to 16 years. It enables the students to make the practical connection between their studies and the real world. The students who complete this program are eligible to take up the IB Diploma Programme or Career-Related Programme.
3. IB Diploma Programme: Open for any student aged between 16 years to 19 years. This program comprises the theory of knowledge(TOK), creativity, activity, service (CAS) and the extended essay. This will enable the student to flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
4. Career-Related Programme: Open for any student aged between 16 years to 19 years. It is the framework within which the students get trained in career-related education which is composed of gaining the lifelong skills in applied knowledge, critical thinking, communication and cross-cultural engagement.
This is how the IB education transforms its students into global citizens. The curiosity which is nurtured in these students is of benefit to the society at large. It teaches the young minds to think and explore beyond what is taught in classrooms.
NES International School Dombivli currently offers your child the IB PYP Programme. Later on, we will have the IB DP Programme too at NES International School. For the middle years, we have the internationally recognized IGCSE Programme, from the University of Cambridge.
NES International School Dombivli has provided a safe and comfortable environment for our children to learn and develop. I watch a school community that strives for excellence in every way. The curriculum encourages independent as well as team learning experiences. There is so much more than excellent academics being taught here.The teachers know their students and can tailor their efforts to individual student needs and thus successfully preparing students for their future education, growth and development. The academics and use of technology are also wonderful! I am confident to know that not only are my kids looked well after on a daily basis but also their mental and physical needs are met as well. I’m very glad to say this decision was one the best decisions we’ve made by sending my kids to NESISD.Mr Shibu, Father of Sahil Shibu – Grade 5 and Sara Shibu- Grade 1